About Me

My photo
A young and slightly ignorant woman who has always loved baking and cooking, I want to make people happy with food as often as I can. I'm here to whisk away and explore!

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Brazilian Theme Cupcake

There is a delicious Brazilian dessert called Arroz Doce. (Pronounce it Ah-hose Doe-see). It basically translates to "Sweet Rice". Now, I never really like rice pudding. It always seemed not quite right, all soupy and warm and tapioca pudding was worse! That was slimy and cold. My dad always called it "Fish Eye and Glue Pudding". Bleck.
But Arroz Doce is wonderful! It's cinnamon and sweetened condensed milk and rice perfectly mixed together and chilled. I know that in Spanish the same dish is called Arroz con Leche. So, of course...I had to make a cupcake. I saw a recipe SOMEwhere online, but I can't remember for the life of me where it was. So I kinda made one of my own. Unfortunately I undercooked the rice and so the cupcakes were kinda crunchy. :( (Fail) Other than that they tasted just like the South American favorite. Mmmmm...I might just have to make a fresh batch of this stuff sometime very soon.  
Arroz Doce
Ingredients:
4 cups water
1 cup long grain rice
1 cinnamon stick

2 cups whole milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14oz can)

Directions:
Pour 4 cups of water over 1 cup long grain rice and 1 cinnamon stick.
Cook until the rice absorbs all the water and add water as needed until the rice is well cooked.

In a separated sauce pan, bring to boil 1/2 qt milk and 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz can).

Add the the cooked rice to the boiling milk (rice need to be still hot). (To your rice pudding gets creamy, you need to combine the hot milk with hot rice).

Cook the rice pudding more. About ten minutes or until it gets a thicker sauce. Remove cinnamon stick.

Pour rice pudding into cold serving dish and sprinkle with cinnamon. Refridgerate overnight or until cold.
Needless to say, these cupcakes (with sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon, and moist rice) were the best spice cake I've ever had. I would eat these all day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment