About Me

My photo
A young and slightly ignorant woman who has always loved baking and cooking, I want to make people happy with food as often as I can. I'm here to whisk away and explore!

Friday, August 6, 2010

Time to get back in there!

These past few weeks have been so crazy! But I am (was...) itching to get back in the kitchen!
Soooooooooo goals for this week:
Develop a fool proof recipe for fruit based mousse : Check
The last time I made a batch of raspberry mousse it was determined to ruin my day. It wouldn't set up and my peaks fell and it didn't even make that good of a pie when I poured it into a shell and froze it. Needless to say, when I decided to make a peach cake with a blackberry mousse filling my work was cut out for me. This time I was going to triumph! Or so I thought... So I whipped my cream and blended my berries...aaaaand. It failed again. I was dejected, and a little infuriated. So began the Mousse War. I whipped egg whites, boiled berries, used gelatin hot, used it cold. After a very messy kitchen and several hours of battle I emerged victor! (At 10:30 at night, I might say) But I now have a delightfully firm mousse in the fridge. :) Phew!


Try the classic American flavor of "Peaches n' Cream" in it's true form : Check
Everyone knows that old timey flavor: Peaches n' Cream. We have smoothies, candy, ice cream, muffins, anything really that you could imagine with the Peaches n' Cream label slapped on. But how many Americans have actually sat down and had a bowl of fresh peaches with cream? Wayyyy too few, I can tell you that. When I was a kid and someone said "Peaches n' Cream" I imagined those syrupy canned peaches of the unnatural orange hue floating in a bowl of milk. Yuk. That couldn't possibly taste good at all, right? Right! But that's not what Peaches n' Cream is. Peaches n' Cream is something so heavenly, I am of the opinion that some villian somewhere has witheld the idea of the dish's pure form out of pure evil intent.
Ok, so conspiracy theories abound when one tastes the wonders of fresh sliced peaches, a dribble of whipping cream, and a dash of cinnamon and sugar. It's just the way it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment