About Me

My photo
A young and slightly ignorant woman who has always loved baking and cooking, I want to make people happy with food as often as I can. I'm here to whisk away and explore!

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Daring Bakers- April!

The April 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Evelyne of the blog Cheap Ethnic Eatz. Evelyne chose to challenge everyone to make a maple mousse in an edible container. Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 27th to May 27th at http://thedaringkitchen.com!

Ok, I usurped the kitchen with this mousse. This delicious tasty super awesome drool worthy mousse. Seriously. I would head on over to thedaringkitchen.com just to get the recipe. (But you could vote for me, too. That would be nice.)

I made three different edible cups.
1. Bacon cup.
   A cup made entirely out of bacon. Pure win, my friends. I know, a little weird if you don't like sweet and salty together. But the maple mousse actually tasted good in it! Plus the thought of bacon in the form of a cup is absolutely stupendous on at least 9 levels of tasty.


2. Walnut/Sweet Potato Chip cup.
   This cup is another salty version, but not as in your face flavor as the bacon. There's half chopped walnuts and the other half is crushed sweet potato chips and then baked til brown and fragrant. So it's a little more subtle. I didn't try this one, but my sister said it was good, I would imagine it would be a little like a cream pie in a salty graham cracker crust.




3. Meringue Shell.
   Eh. This was WAY too sweet to hold the already sweet maple mousse. But they were excellent holders for fruit, so we ate em that way later.



4. Apple Cup.
    This was the prettiest of all the containers. It just held itself toether nice with a little apple swirl on top. It was cute! Taste wise it was pretty good too. the apple was hard to eat with a fork, but we don't have anything against eating with our hands, do we? Nah...Maybe I'll try baking the apples next time to make it easier, but the tart apple balanced the sweet mousse really nicely.






5. Sweet Potato Boats.
   I saved the best for last... ah.The sweet potatos didn't look the prettiest, but man were they the tastiest! Me and my mom argued over the last one and we licked that plate clean. I carmelized the insides with butter and brown sugar and then filled them up with the smooth mousse. It. Was. Fantastic.

As for the mousse itself it was pretty awesome straight up out of the bowl. It was very fluffy and light, and the maple flavor wasn't so overpoweing like I was afraid it would be. All around a great great challenge!

1 comment:

  1. The apple looks gorgeous but I am most tempted by the sweet potato shell. It was an ingenious idea - simple to execute yet elegant and tasty. I wish I had thought of it. Great work fully exploring the challenge!

    ReplyDelete