About Me

My photo
A young and slightly ignorant woman who has always loved baking and cooking, I want to make people happy with food as often as I can. I'm here to whisk away and explore!

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Valentines: A little sweetness...

The holiday of love is right around the corner, isn't it?
Happy Valentines Day, everyone! 
I've never been the kind of person who sits grumpily at home on Valentines day and curses everyone that has a cute significant other and declares that February 14th is only a day for Hallmark to ruthlessly swindle the desperate hearts of couples and make them spend lots of money on useless things like roses and chocolate. I like Valentine's day, and I don't really ever remember having a "valentine" to share it with. But it's cute. And fluffy. It involves chocolate. And really, we hate people who get on Christmas, right? Why is Valentine's any different? Why don't we have "The Grinch who Stole Valentine's Day?" Because the world is full of people who resent the love birds around them, that's why. 
So stop the Single Awareness Day phenomenon, eat cupcakes instead! 
Actually, if you are lonely and disgruntled this 14th, shoot me an email with your address and I will personally send you a Valentine. Because I like making valentines. I also really like making Valentine cupcakes too. I was that kid who made all my valentines homemade and then brought cupcakes to the party at school. Yup. 
I also read classic romantic novels that had lines like this one: "Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." -Emily Brontë
Yeah, I was that kid. You'll have to forgive me. Maybe these can help?
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes
When I was a wee lass (Or maybe, like, a 23 year woman? Just maybe.) I loved chocolate covered cherries. I know a lot of people find them a less than favorable candy. Tooth achingly sweet and artificial cherries wrapped in chocolate? Um, Yes! I'm sorry, but they're awesome. As are the cupcakes versions. :)
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes
Chocolate Cupcakes

1 c. cake flour
3/4 c. sugar
1/3 c. cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. coffee
1/4 c. oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
Stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Add the remaining wet ingredients and stir until moistened. Divide into cupcake wrappers and bake at 350 for about 12 minutes, or until the tops spring back when touched. 

   Cherry Buttercream
1 stick butter, soft
1/3 c. shortening
3 TB maraschino cherry juice
4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup finely chopped maraschino cherries
12 cherries for decorating
Cream butter and shortening. Add juice and mix. Slowly add sugar. Stir in chopped cherries. Pipe onto chocolate cupcakes using a wide opened tip. 
   Chocolate Ganache
9 oz of semi sweet chocolate, shaved
1 c. cream 
Warm the cream to just boiling in a saucepan on the stove top  Pour over the chocolate and stir until all melted and smooth. Fill a pastry bag and drizzle over frosted cupcakes. Dip the 12 maraschino cherries into the remaining ganache and set on the cupcakes. Tada! Your very own valentine...an edible one, score!


1 comment:

  1. hee-hee...sisters separated at birth, I'm sure...
    from another homemade valentine and cupcake maker aka karen's*kupckae*kitchen wanna-be

    ReplyDelete